Saturday, October 20, 2007

Excuse Me....

Forgive me for the title.... I'm not trying to ask you guys who's reading this to excuse myself, it's just something that I think should be brought to your attention.

I was in a shopping complex this afternoon and it so happens I was in a mood to look for a book to read (once I've finished the current book that I am reading right now). So, there I was in a bookshop happily looking around when i reached the Fantasy section. One of the books there caught my attention and I squated to read the summary at the back of the book. As I was happily reading, while squating, two pairs of legs appeared next to me. Then I heard a girl just sigh and doing some clicking noise. Obviously she was trying to tell me that she wanted to pass through. And the boyfriend was next to her as well, making clicking noise and sighing. Of course the logical thing for me to do was to move aside and let them through. But I'm not the most logical person in the world, at least in the current world we live in.

So there I was, still squatting and trying to enjoy the wonderful harmony of sighing and clicking noise from this couple. I had a smile on my face. I could feel their eyes piercing through me. So being me, I stood up, and looked at both of them. I think they were pissed. Do I care...No... So i just stood there and instead of saying sorry, I just said, you could have said "Excuse Me" right? Didn't they teach you that in school. So the girl said sorry, then excuse me, while the boy just looked at me with the sort of defeated look and said excuse as well.

What's happening to the old values that were taught to us when we were young. Saying "thank you", "excuse me", "you're welcome", "please"...etc... Don't people practice this anymore. People in general seldom say these words and instead just push their way through a crowded train/bus, not saying thank you when someone did them a favour, even up to the point of demanding for something instead of asking nicely.

Excuse Me for saying this, but something is really wrong with the society nowadays. We don't stop long enough to enjoy what is around us and forget the purpose to enjoy what is around us. We are too caught up in ourselves that we forget to remember that people around us have feelings as well.

So I challenge you... Say "Excuse Me" the next time you want to pass through a crowded area. People will definitely make way for you. Ask and it will be given to you...even the Bible teaches you that.

3 comments:

Jesu said...

excuse me ahh, was passing thru ur blog, good one mate

Dumpling said...

What is new? Some people just dont have the basic courtesy. It has to be some deficiency in the family values!

Anonymous said...

Excuse me...I'm leaving comment here

"I enjoyed reading your posts, man. Always have something funny and interesting to read about"

Thanks for excusing me ah

Excuse me...I'm going